The Power of the Liver Detox
By detoxifying the body, giving it the right nutritional tools and avoiding nasty environmental toxins (which confuse and hinder the liver), we can literally regenerate this wonderful organ. Your liver’s functions may be restored to full health. Foods and herbs which support liver healing and detoxification can be used to make dramatic changes to symptoms associated with a sluggish liver and give long lasting healing effects.
- 6 days of preparation and 16-20 hours of actual flush. Try aim for the flush to happen over the weekend, when you have time to rest.
- Colonic irrigation recommended on day 5 (make the booking in advance).
- The day of new moon or while the moon is waning is ideal for this cleanse (the body tends to hold more water in the brain and tissues on full moon).
Apple Juice – 1 litre per day for each of the 6 days (as fresh as possible)
Epsom Salts (Magnesium Sulphate) – 4 tablespoons dissolved in 250ml (1 cup) of water
Extra Virgin Olive Oil (cold pressed) – 1/2 cup
Fresh Grapefruit – enough to squeeze 3/4 cup of juice
(alternative to grapefruit juice is equal amounts of orange and lemon juice)
Preparation (Day 1 -5)
- Drink a total of 1 litre of apple juice, slowly and at regular intervals through the day, between meals (avoid just before meals, within 2 hours after a meal and evenings). This is in addition to your normal daily water intake.
- Rinse your mouth with baking soda or brush your teeth after drinking the juice to prevent the acid damaging your teeth.
- Eat and exercise normally. See what to avoid below.
The malic acid in apple juice softens the gallstones, making the passage through the ducts smoother.
You may experience bloating and diarrhoea in the first few days. This is normal – it’s actually stagnant bile being released by the liver.
- Taking any medication, vitamins, supplements that are not absolutely necessary
- Cold or chilled beverages (these chill the liver and reduce the effectiveness of the cleanse)
- Dairy products
- Fried food
- 08:00 Drink the full litre of apple juice in the morning.
- 08:00-09:00 Eat a light breakfast (hot cereal or, ideally, oatmeal).
Avoid sugars, sweeteners, spices, milk, butter, oils, yoghurt, cheese, ham, eggs, nuts, pastries, cold cereals etc. Fruit and fruit juices are fine.
- 12-13:00 Lunch should be plain cooked or steamed vegetables with white (preferably Basmati) rice. Flavour with unrefined sea salt.
Do not eat any protein foods, butter or oil (to avoid feeling ill during the flush).
- 13:30 Do not eat or drink anything after 13:30 (to avoid difficulty passing the stones).
- 13:30-18:00 Do a colon cleanse/irrigation to clear the passage for the stones.
- 18:00 Add 4 tbsp of Epsom salts to a total of 3 cups of water (750ml). Drink 3/4 cup now.
Sip water after, drink throughout a straw or add lemon juice to improve the taste.
- 20:00 Drink another 3/4 cup of Epsom salt mixture.
- 21:30 If you have not had a bowel movement or have not had a colon irrigation, take a water enema to trigger bowel movements
- 21:45 Wash the grapefruit (or oranges and lemons).
Squeeze and remove pulp. You will need 3/4 of a cup of juice.
Add 1/2 cup of olive oil to a bottle/jar with a lid. Shake hard until solution is watery.
- 22:00 Prepare your bed so that you can lie on your back, your head propped up to be higher than your abdomen. If you can’t lie on your back, or are uncomfortable, you can lie on your right, knees pulled toward your head.
Stand next to your bed and drink the juice-oil mixture. If you are still having bowel movements, this can be delayed for up to 10 minutes.
- Lie down IMMEDIATELY and stay perfectly still for at least 20 minutes, without speaking – this is key to releasing the gallstones.
Do not drink water for at least 2 hours after the oil-juice mix.
Put your attention on your liver. You may feel the stones travelling along the ducts.
- There will be no pain or spasms – the Epsom salts dilate the ducts dilated and relaxed.
Sleep, if you can. If you feel the need to have a bowel movement, do so, and check for stones.
You may feel nausea as a result of the outpouring of gallstones and toxins. It will pass.
- 06:00-06:30 When you wake up (but not before 06:00), drink your 3rd glass of Epsom salt mix. If you are thirsty, drink a glass of warm water before taking the salts.
- Rest, read, meditate. If sleepy, go back to sleep. Ideally it is best to keep the body in an upright position. If you feel fine, you can do some light exercise such as yoga.
- 08:00-08:30 Drink your 4th and final glass of the Epsom salt mix.
- 10:00-10:30 Drink freshly pressed juice.
- 11:00 You may eat 1 or 2 pieces of fresh fruit.
- 12:00 You may eat regular, but light, food.
- By the evening you should be back to normal.
- Continue to eat light meals during the 2-3 days that follow – your liver has been through a surgery of sorts.
What to Expect
- You will have a number of watery bowel movements during the morning and afternoon following the flush.
- These initially consist of gallstones mixed with food residue and then just stones and water.
- Most of the stones will be pea-green and float (bile), some will be tan or white and sink (calcified gallstones – they contain heavier toxic substances).
- You may find a layer of white or tan-coloured foam. These are sharp-edged cholesterol crystals and equally important to release.
- To remove all the stones will require 8-12 flushes at 3-week or monthly intervals. Not more frequently than that. Keep cleansing until you have 2 consecutively stone-free flushes.
Congratulations! You are well on your way to curing your back pain, allergies, bursitis and leading a disease-free lifestyle…